The Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu is one of the most famous treks in Cusco and it is undoubtedly the best alternative route to experience the original Inca paths. This trek takes you through many different types of landscapes. You will have the best opportunity to see the typical Andean landscape up to the snowcapped mountains, down to the tropical forests and finally even venture into the dense jungle. If you are thinking to do a hiking trip to Machu Picchu and you want to be off the beaten path, close to the Andean communities and appreciate the beautiful and diverse nature of Peru, the Salkantay Trek is highly recommended.
DAY 1: CUSCO – MOLLEPATA – SORAYPAMPA
At around 4:30 am you will be picked up from your hotel and leave Cusco at around 5:00 am (after all clients have been picked up). From Cusco you will pass through the towns of Izcuchaca and Limatambo, arriving to your destination of Mollepata around 8.00 am. In Mollepata we will have breakfast and prepare our bags/duffels of 5 kilos, which will be given to the horsemen.
From Mollepata we will take a bus to Challacancha (45 minutes) and in Challacancha we will start our hike. We will walk for 3 hours to Soraypampa, passing the view point of Hornada Pata where the valley splits into two (Valley of Mollepata and Challacancha). Soraypampa is also our lunch stop and campsite for the night.
After lunch in Soraypampa you have the option to hike up to Lake Humantay located at 4220 m/13,850 ft which will take about 1 hour. The return descent will take around 45 minutes.
Tea will be served at 6:00 pm followed by dinner at 7:30 pm and finally we will head to our tents for a good night sleep.
- 11 km / 7 mi. 5 hours
DAY 2: SORAYMAPA – SALKANTAY PASS – CHAULLAY
We will wake up at 5:00 am and eat breakfast from 5:30 am to 6.20 am then continue our hike for 4 hours until the Salkantay Pass located at 4650 m/ 15,250 ft. At the Salkantay Pass we will visit two important historical points (Salkantay-Pampa and Soyroq’ocha). Here we will make a small offering of coca leaves to Pachamama and Apu Salkantay. We will also talk about the history and religion of the Incas.
We will then descend for 2 and a half hours towards our lunch spot in Huayrac-Pampa where we will have 1 and a half hours to eat and rest before descending from 3900 m/ 12,800 ft to 2900 m/ 9500 ft. This will take around 3 and a half hours. This part of the trail is surrounded by jungle and we will arrive at the campsite of Chaullay where we will have tea and dinner.
- 22 km / 13.5 mi. 10 hours
DAY 3: CHAULLAY – PLAYA SAHUAYACO – SANTA TERESA
We will have breakfast at 6:00 am and shortly after begin hiking for approximately 5 and a half hours through jungle. In this part of the trek we will see and appreciate many coffee, orchid and cloud forest plantations as well as many natural plants used for medicines. We will arrive at our lunch point, Playa Sahuayaca, where we will have lunch and shortly after take transportation towards Hidro-Electrica where we will walk for 3 hours towards Aguas Calientes. In Augas Calientes we will spend the night in a hostel and have our final dinner together in a restaurant.
- 16 km / 10 mi. 5 hours
- After lunch: 11 km / 7 mi 3 hours
DAY 4: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHUPICCHU – CUSCO
Rise and shine! At 4:30 am we will make our way to the majestic city of the Incas, Machu Picchu. Accompanied by a guide we will visit the citadel for approximately 2 hours. For the rest of the day you will have free time to explore more of Machu Picchu on your own or visit Huayna Picchu Mountain*, Machu Picchu Mountain*, or Inti Punku (the Sun Gate). In the afternoon we will head back to the town of Aguas Calientes. At night, we take the train to Ollantaytambo and then a bus Cusco.
*Ask in advance for availability
WHAT IS INCLUDED SALKANTAY TREK 4 DAYS ?
The following transportation services are included within the tour:
- Tourist Transport Cusco: Cusco to Mollepata, approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes
- Mollepata- Challacancha Transport, approximately 45 minutes
- Playa Sahuayaco- Hidroeléctrica Transport
- Train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo
- Tourist Transport from Ollantaytambo station to Cusco (Plaza Regocijo)
Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu
The return train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo(Train expeditions at 6:20 pm)
We include all of the camping equipment necessary to ensure the confort of our customers:
- 1 tent for every 2 people: the tents that we offer to our customers are spacious, with intial capacity for 4 people, but we only use them for 2 people
- 5 extra kilos for the backpacks on horse (personal items)
- Sleeping mats with a thickness of 5 centimeters
We have camps set up in every designated CAMPING SITE, which include:
- Soraypampa: the tents are set up under a shelter to prevent our customers from being cold
- Chaullay: the camping sites are spacious so that travelers can enjoy the open views to the fullest during their limited stay in each place.
- Aguas Calientes: Hostel
The accommodation that is included in Hostel in the town of Aguas Calientes.
- All of the rooms come with a private bath and shower
- Hot water
- Take- Away breakfast (juice box, cheese sandwich, crackers and one fruit)
NOTE: If you wish to reserve your own hotel or work with a specifc hotel, let us know in advance so that we are able to coordinate the details.
- Official Tourism Guide- our guides are certified by DIRECTUR with a minimum experience of 3 years. Groups bigger than 13 people will be accompanied by a SECOND GUIDE (with a maximum group size of 17 people)
- Cook specialized in high mountain cuisine- comes with special stainless steel kitchen equipment
- Muleteers and horses to carry all of the camping and cooking equipment
- 5 kilos for extra personal items each passenger (within the luggage of each passenger the weight of the sleeping bag will also be included)
All the food required during the tour is included.
All of the food we offer is BUFFET SERVICE (except for the fourth lunch and fourth dinner, which are in tourist restaurants)
- 3 Breakfasts
- 3 Lunches
- 3 Dinners
- Coca Tea to wake you up EVERY MORNING in the campsites
- Oxygen (Oxishot)
- First Aid Kit (Only the generic, it’s necessary that the passanger still comes with their own personal medication)
NOT INCLUDED SALKANTAY TREK 4 DAYS
- First breaksfast
- Lunch on the last day
- Entrance Fee to Huaynapicchu Mountain and/or Machu Picchu Mountain
- Sleeping bag
- Walking stick
RECOMMENDATIONS SALKANTAY TREK 4 DAYS
- Passport (Note: required for entrance to Machu Picchu)
- Warm clothes for the night
- Water-proof clothes
- Several shirts
- Insect repellent
- Poncho or Rain Jacket
- Water purification tablets
- First Aid Kit
- Water bottle
- Student ID card (isic) if applicable
- Extra soles or dollars
- Walking sticks